Monday, November 5, 2018

GLOG Class: Onmyōji

So  I made a GLOG class for my Eido setting, which is really just Edo and honestly I haven't changed much. I guess it's more pop culture Edo from the perspective of some random 外人 who doesn't know what they're talking about, but whatever. Anyways, [here]'s the class so far. Any advice is welcomed.

Image result for abe no seimei
Abe no Seimei, the man, the myth, the legend
Onmyōji are practitioners of Onmyōdō, a Japanese art that blends Wu Xing, Yin and Yang, Taoism, Buddhism, Shinto, and astronomy. Basically though it's a form of Japanese fortune telling, one that was for centuries heavily used by the imperial court of Japan. During the Edo period however, power was consolidated in the shogunate rather than the imperial court, and Onmyōdō's popularity was on the decline. Then during Meiji it was suddenly banned completely but that's later than what my setting is concerned about. Anyways. Onmyōji were supposedly capable of divination and could protect people from evil spirits. They also were said to be able to summon and control shikigami, a kind of summoned spirit, which is more or less what I focused on since that's the coolest part and also I really like Natsume jinchō.

No comments:

Post a Comment