Saturday, August 15, 2020

CarDrive

 So I got the Bundle for Racial Justice bundle when it bundled out on itch.io, and in that bundle was a program called Pico-8. Now if you don't know what that is, Pico-8 is a fantasy console with 16 colors (more or less) and a 128x128 screen. Now if you don't know what that is, a screen is what you're looking at to read these words. Oh, and a fantasy console is essentially an emulator for hardware that never existed. The Pico-8 is basically just a little thing that lets you make games with a bunch of restrictions, like the aforementioned 16 colors and small resolution, as well as restrictions on "cartridge" size and a fairly barebones scripting language. It basically uses Lua, BTW. Anyways, I've been working some on the Pico-8 and following along on this tutorial here that goes into making a 3d racer. As I'm writing this, the tutorial only goes up to part 3, so if they release part 4 before you read this pretend it's not there. I'm basically trying to work off of that much of the tutorial to make a fuller game.


So far I've added controls and textured roads, which I think is pretty cool but probably is less cool than I think. I'm not sure if it's more or less cool if you know about Pico-8 coding, TBH. But anyways, that's the game I'm working on right now and as I update it it should get updated here as well, and I might also edit this blog post with more info.

Arrow keys to steer, z/c to accelerate, x/v to switch resolutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment